This is another recipe for the sweet tooth and again it is inspired partly by the Engine Shed Recipe Book, though the initial credit must go to our friend Sheila Hyslop. Warning: the vegan adaptation is still somewhat experimental, so please attempt this recipe with a “trial and error” attitude, particularly when preparing the carob coating and olive oil. If you can’t get hold of carob that works well, substitute with vegan cooking chocolate, though we found that chocolate melts more in the hand when the balls get eaten.
- 2 medium bananas (ripe ones are best)
- large block of tofu (e.g. 450g)
- 3 cups of water
- ⅓ cup of oil
- 3 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 2 cups of self-raising white flour
- 1 cup of self-raising wholemeal flour