This is a tasty, tried and tested vegan version of Mac’n’cheese.
- 250g macaroni pasta
- 1.25 cups (300ml) soya milk
- 2 tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 2 heaped tbsp (50ml) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (125ml) nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) salt
- Cook your pasta as per the directions on the packet
- In a small/medium pan, heat the 2 tsbp olive oil over medium heat.
- Add 2 heaped tbsp of flour and stir vigorously to make a roux.
- Add the soya milk slowly and stir constantly to incorporate the liquid.
- Reduce the heat and continue cooking the sauce for about 8mins, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the rest of the ingredients: 1/2 cup (125ml) nutritional yeast flakes and the garlic powder, chilli flakes and salt
- Drain the pasta and empty it into a casserole dish and then cover it with the sauce, stirring it well so that the pasta and sauce are well mixed.
- (Optional) Pop the dish uncovered into the oven at 200°C for 5-6mins to make the top a bit crispy.
You’ll get 3 servings from this recipe.