Initially i had just used variables for my character information but i decided ti would actually be a lot better if i used records so i created a character information record but after i had changed all the names within the program things like selecting the weapon no longer worked. after some time though i manged to change about the way in which the weapons were selected so that it now worked again and while i was at it deiced to add further code that would display an image of the weapon you have chosen, also the change to a record data format seemed to make the gender validation stop working but not the race validation which worked in virtually the same way and this problem is still as of yet unsolved. also recently i decided to add an inventory array and a poison item to be added to this inventory with more items that could be added later and this lead to me crating a system for which to apply this poison to your weapon which involved a button that could be pressed that appears when you gain the poison and the click of that button changes a Boolean variable to true and changes the image of your weapon to look as though it has poison on it and this will be important at the end of the game.
I keep forgetting to blog after working on the program so I’m goign to sum up the main obstacles I have faced so far. Initially i couldn’t get the combo box i was using i my program to work and since i am doing a text adventure the input of your choice is quite an important bit so it was vital i got it working but for some reason it just would not work so i switched to a text box which did work but as you can imagine that meant that you could enter anything and if you did not enter the correct option the program would crash so i decided to try and make the combo box work again and it soddenly came to me how to get it working and then it started working. the next big problem was that i could not get the moving on from each stage based on the option you choose working since for some reason it wouldn’t use the variables correctly so i created3 universal variables that each option would be set two in each stage and that worked since that would mean after each section the variables would be correct and move on in the game and not just keep doing the same stage over and over again, i then used a case statement that would take you to the next stage depending on what choice you made. so i then had a working selection system and a working method of moving through the game. i will talk about the other obstacles I’ve come across so far and what other developments i have made so far tomorrow as this post would be very long other wise, so i’m splitting it into two
Advanced Higher Computing Project Proposal
For my Advanced Higher Project I intend to create a Text adventure game in which descriptive text will appear on the screen offering you choices and you can enter your choice and the output box on the screen will tell you what happened because of your choices and what you can do now. There is to be a basic interface with an output screen and a combo box so as to input your choice. There will also be a box detail your character details and further necessary buttons for interaction like save game and load game.
Advanced Higher Computing
Advanced Higher Computing Project
Here I will be recording the process I make on my AH computing project. the different obstacles I have to over come and just to keep track of how I’m doing on the project.