Last Updated on 4 September 2018 by gerry
There is something comforting about a big pot of polenta. This is a tried and tested vegan version.
- 4 cups (1 litre) of water
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
- 1 cup (250ml) of polenta (cornmeal)
- 2 tbsp (30ml) vegan marg
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of nutritional yeast flakes
- Bring a litre of water and a teaspoon of salt to the boil in a large saucepan.
- Pour 1 cup (250ml) of polenta slowly into boiling water, stirring until all the polenta is added and there are no lumps.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer with lid on the pan for 30mins, stirring the mixture well approximately every 5mins. After 30mins the polenta texture should be creamy and the individual grains tender.
- Switch off the heat and stir in 2 tbsp of margarine and the 1/2 cup (125ml) of nutritional yeast flakes. Leave covered for 5mins to thicken some more before serving.
The polenta will become more rubbery as it cools down and is good to eat hot or cold.