Last Updated on 12 December 2008 by gerry
This simple but very effective and recipe was adapted from a parenting magazine, where the use of meat sausages and real cheese was intended.
- 225g (8oz) plain wholemeal flour
- 100g (4oz) vegan margarine
- 50g (2oz) vegan “cheese”, grated (we use mozarella style Scheeze from Bute Island foods)
- small amount of soya milk to bind
- some baked beans
- vegan sausages (e.g. Linda McCartney), chopped into small pieces
- sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6.
- Put flour in a bowl and rub in margarine until mixture is like fine crumbs. Stir in most of the grated “cheese” reserving the rest for topping the pasties.
- Add just enough soya milk to form a soft dough.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface and cut out circles. One of the few useful plastic items we bought from Betterware (or was it Kleeneze?) was a set of pasty makers. These simplify the cutting, filling and sealing stages.
- Spoon beans and one or two sausage pieces into the centre of each circle
- Dampen edges, then fold over and seal to form pasties.
- Put on a baking sheet (we have found that it is better not to grease the baking sheet) and chill for 30 minutes.
- Glaze pasties with soya milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds and grated “cheese”. Cook for 20 minutes.